Delegation from Arvedi Group learned about high-tech projects of the SPbPU IAMT and CompMechLab®
On October 31, 2016, Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University welcomed the delegation of the steel manufacturer Arvedi Group (Italy) headed by its president Giovanni Arvedi. The official visit was organized in order to take part in the ceremony of the awarding of a SPbPU honorary doctorate to Mr. Arvedi. Arvedi Group representatives learned about high-tech inventions and projects of the leading SPbPU units, including the SPbPU Institute of Advanced Manufacturing Technologies (SPbPU IAMT) and SPbPU Computer-Aided Engineering Centre of Excellence (CompMechLab®).
Evgeniy Belosludtsev, Deputy Director for Additive Technology, SPbPU Computer-Aided Engineering Centre of Excellence gave a detailed presentation outlining the projects. Arvedi Group representatives familiarized themselves with the developments for high-tech industries.
- Prototype of an automobile side view mirror manufactured using additive technologies at CompMechLab® (SPbPU IAMT) Centre for rapid prototyping and reverse engineering.
- Metal bracket for use in aircraft industry. Developed using (Simulation & Optimization)-Driven Bionic Design.
- Carbon fiber composite lattice solar panel frame for space applications. The lightweight supporting structure is intended to replace three-layer honeycomb panels.
- Industrial photopolymer (SLA) 3D printer Bravo-2 with a build area of 200 х 150 х 200 mm and 0.1 mm printing accuracy.
- Energy-absorbing container for keeping fragile equipment safe and properly functioning after falling from a height of 125 meters on a hard surface. 38 days from an idea to a working prototype.
- Powertrain mount, designed according to bionic design principles. A small batch was manufactured at CompMechLab® (SPbPU IAMT) Centre for rapid prototyping and reverse engineering..
The projects were highly praised by the delegation members and opened new prospects for successful cooperation with Arvedi Group.
Arvedi Group representatives also learned about the projects of several other SPbPU units. The working program of the visit culminated in an official ceremony during which Mr. Arvedi was awarded a SPbPU honorary doctorate gown and diploma.
SPbPU rector Andrey Rudskoy gave Giovanni Arvedi an honorary diploma. Photo courtesy of spbstu.ru
“I would like to express a deep gratitude for being honored with an honorary doctorate of this prestigious university,” said Mr. Arvedi to those present. “Studying and science and their practical use are at the heart of success. Keep on working, but study first. And keep on studying after. This will bring you success”.